Afternoon tea with free flowing champagne - yes really!

10.11.13





There is something so decadent about an afternoon tea. I really love them but have only had been a couple of times simply because they turn out to be just so expensive. 

Enter the Mandeville Hotel's Reform Social and Grill with there fabulous offer of afternoon tea with FREE-FLOWING Moutard Champagne. 

Sound to good to be true? I know. I thought so too. I booked immediately and got my friends Elaine, Kate and Harriet involved, but I was nervous. It was a brilliant offer - so what was the catch going to be? When is an offer ever really THAT good? 

Well trust me, it was that good, and then some.

We arrived just before our 1.30pm booking. It's an amazing venue, really luxurious and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. 

We ordered the vintage afternoon tea and  started off with peach and green apple Bellini's before the Champagne, well, literally flowed. 



I thought we'd have to keep asking for a top-up of the Champagne but not at all. They staff suddenly appeared, bottle in hand, as soon as our glasses were only half empty. Nothing was too much trouble. They were efficient without being too in our faces and we felt completely relaxed. 



As Kate pointed out, it wasn't stuffy like some afternoon teas. She told one horror story of paying £19 for an extra glass of Champagne!! 

The sandwiches and treats came out really quickly. The sandwiches were cut into fingers and were v tasty, especially the salmon and horseradish on beetroot bread.

But the cakes were the really treat! The scones were fresh and warm - you could tell it had come straight from the oven. They were served with the most amazing clotted cream and jam. We had one each but I could easily have had another! 

We also had pistachio macaroons (which I LOVE) and a slice of mini battenberg, a slither of chocolate cake and a little cherry cupcake. The staff even sang happy birthday to me - v cute and a nice touch. 



Before we knew it our two-hour seating was up and we'd lost count of how many glasses of Champagne we'd had. But the staff didn't rush us out, instead they just asked if we'd mind moving into the lounge area and gave us another top up of Champagne. 


I asked for the bill, and did hold my breath a little, but it was all fine. For over fours hours of lovely food, great Champagne and wonderful company, with service charge which we were more than happy to pay, it was just £36 each. BARGAIN. 



I can honestly say it's the best afternoon tea I've ever had - and not just because of the free-flowing Champers! The atmosphere and the good staff were what made it and I'll definitely be going back. 

The offer is only on for a few more weeks but one of the waitresses said it's sure to be back in January, so keep an eye out on their website.

Right, now I'm off to deal with my Champagne head. Bacon butty anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment