*Book Review and Author Chat* The Second Love of my Life by Victoria Walters

8.4.16




In the Cornish town of Talting, everyone is famous for something.
Until recently Rose was known for many things: her infectious positivity; her unique artistic talent; and her devotion to childhood sweetheart Lucas.
But two years ago that changed in one unthinkable moment. Now, Rose is known for being the young woman who became a widow aged just twenty-four.
Though Rose knows that life must go on, the thought of carving out a new future for herself is one she can barely entertain. Until a newcomer, Robert, arrives in Talting for the summer...

Can Rose allow herself the chance to love again?

I loved The Second Love of my Life immediately. The characters. The setting. And of course the story itself.
Whilist incredibly sad in places (have a box of tissues to hand), the book is also full of hope too and you’ll end with a smile on your face.  
A really impressive debut novel, I can’t to see what Victoria Walters has next up her sleeve! 
 
And on that note… Victoria spills the beans on writing The Second Love of my Life… 
Victoria with her co-author, her cat Harry!
The four things I have on my writers desk - and the one thing I shouldn't… 

I actually don’t have a desk, which I probably should get! But when I write I have my laptop and phone, a mug of tea and usually have a blanket draped over me as I get really cold writing!
What I shouldn’t have is my cat Harry who is always trying to distract me as I write!

The five things that inspired me to write this book…

This is a hard question!!! Just wanted to state that for the record! It wasn’t really things as such, more general life questions about grief and love but certain parts of the story were inspired these …

1. The town the book is set in: The Gilmore Girls
2. The main character’s art: Starry Night by Vincent Van Gough
3. The town the book is set in: Cornwall
4. The music the main character listens to and mentions: see soundtrack question
5. The cat Taylor – my own cat Harry!

The five things I learnt when writing this book… 

1. That I had been using ‘brought’ instead of ‘bought’!
2. How to re-read my writing again and again and not go crazy
3. My writing makes people cry
4. Editing notes are not about what is wrong with your book but how it could be made even better
5. That I can write a 90,000 word novel! There were moments when I wasn’t quite sure I’d make it.


My soundtrack to writing this book… 

I created a playlist for the book, which you can listen to on Spotify – here’s a sample of it:

1. Famous In A Small Town – Miranda Lambert
2. See You Again – Carrie Underwood
3. Some People – LeAnn Rimes
4. Better Place – Rachel Platten
5. Ready To Love Again – Lady Antebellum

The five things I couldn't have done without when writing this book… 

1. Twitter – talking to people helps me get through the tough writing days!
2. My cat Harry for making me laugh and for cuddles
3. Laptop obviously
4. Music – I have to listen to music when I write
5. Cake (self explanatory)

Perfect for the weekend, get your copy here...

No comments:

Post a Comment